So I received a text this morning from a friend of mine asking for a favour .Nothing significant about that but what I want to point out is the way she proposed it which came across as an order . I am normally a nice person that likes to help people , especially friends . In this case however , I am not really keen to help or comply.
This is actually not the first time that I have this kind of attitude towards her when she asks for something. Believe me , I feel bad for feeling this way because she is my friend but then I realize that the fact is , how you construct a sentence or how you approach people matters a lot in the sense of gaining compliance from others . It is a matter of a positive feedback or ending up having misunderstanding or at worse,offending others without realizing it.
This is part of the reason why some people seem to get help from others more easily than some I reckon .I know some people are just better in expressing themselves with actions rather than in words . I agree , there's nothing wrong with that and I'm all for it especially if they are expressing their love that way ! However , if it's a favour or asking someone for something , verbal courtesy is still the way to go .
This applies to everyone! The thing is , people do not like to feel as if they are forced to do something . A simple please and thank you to however small a favour is, will make people feel good about helping you out and most likely would not mind to do another favour for you in the future given that you do not take them for granted !
No comments:
Post a Comment